Dairy Free Mac + Cheese - Hamburger Helper Style
This gluten free, dairy free homemade hamburger helper is gooey, cheesy, and delicious! It tastes so much better than the old boxed one we used to eat growing up, and its endometriosis friendly!
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 T EVOO
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- Dash of Salt + Pepper
- 1 can of organic diced green chilies
- 1/2 lb Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 2 large table carrots
- 2 boxes Banza gluten free pasta - we like shells
- Cheesy Sauce:
- 1 c + 2T nutritional yeast
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c vegetable stock
- 1 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- Dice jalapeño and mince garlic.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with EVOO
- Sauté jalapeño and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the meat to the pan and brown. Season with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt + pepper.
- While the meat is cooking, dice potatoes and carrots. Set aside.
- Then in a saucepan, boil potatoes and carrots until fork tender.
- Cook pasta according to box.
- To make the cheesy sauce, drain potatoes and carrots and add them to a high speed blender. Add nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and 1/2 of the can of diced green chilis to the blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Add cooked pasta, cheesy sauce, beef, and remaining green chilis to a saucepan over low heat to warm.
- Serve immediately
- Pro tip: Use leftover cheesy sauce as a side, put it in eggs, or just as a dip with chips or veggies